Tuesday, January 4, 2011

movies: The Last Airbender

I'm not doing a full review of the movie.

But I do have complaints.

I watched the television show on Nickelodeon from beginning to end. My kids and I love it. The story is interesting; the animation is beautiful; and the characters are well-developed.

We watched the recent movie and I have complaints.

The first thing I noticed was that the children were not Asian. The characters in the cartoon series looked more Asian. I knew the actor playing Aang wasn't going to be Asian before I saw the movie. However, I didn't know they would strip almost every last shred of diversity from the main characters. That was disappointing.

They pronounced the air bender's name differently from the cartoon. His name was pronounced Aang as in 'rang' on the TV show. They kept calling him Aang, as in 'bong'. That bugged the shit out of me. I mean, did Shyamalan even watch one episode of the cartoon series? He should have known better.

The movie was a rehash of part of the cartoon series. I can't tell you how many episodes the movie covered, but I'm going to guess it covered the first half of the series. Anyone who watched the cartoon knew what was going to happen. Why the hell would you make a rerun movie? Really? What a waste of time and money. At least make a prequel. Bring some new material to the table. Add value. Don't just show old stuff in fast forward.

Those are my complaints. I'm not calling this a review but I will give the movie a grade. D-

Bad form.

_________________________
Hey, want some free reading? Check out the fiction freebie page on this very blog!
There you shall find a download (free ebook) of three short stories and links to my novel excerpts on Scribd.

Other places to find me:
http://www.LeaRyan.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/LeaRyan1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Cents?