Friday, July 29, 2011

nightmare fodder

I took the day off. The boy and I went to the park. I saw this crazy bug on a fence, so I snapped a picture of it.

Using the all-wise and knowing internet, I have identified this charming specimen as a red-footed cannibal fly.

Cannibal.
Fly.

Why does it bear this name? From what I've read, it can take out pretty much any other insect, including dragonflies. And one site claimed that it can also take down a hummingbird if so inclined.






Yes the second picture is of the same bug. It looks different in flight.


The other pictures I saw while doing research showed the bug eating bees and wasps and such. It seems to like to go for the head-face area first. yummy.


Sleep tight, kids. Don't let the red-footed cannibal fly bite.
_________________________
Hey, want some free reading? Check out the fiction freebie page on this very blog!
There you shall find links to two free ebooks on Smashwords and novel excerpts on Scribd.

Other places to find me:
http://www.LeaRyan.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/LeaRyan1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Cents?