Tuesday, August 30, 2011

word vomit

I have a scene that I'm writing for AnnaBeth2 in which there is information (aside from the actual scene happenings) that I wish to convey. It's sort of a story within the story about previous events which reveal motivation for one of my supporting character's actions.

I don't want to do a flashback, but I also want to keep from the infamous information dump. For the non-writerly types out there, an info dump is when an author just vomits a bit of story (usually back story) onto the page. It's quick and relatively painless but the cost is a loss of flow.

To prevent an information dump, I did the following. I vomited in a notebook. I wrote the back story all out in basic form. No fluff. Just go. I got it all out of my system, now as I write the actual scene that will go in the book, I weave in the necessary pieces gradually.

Doing this is kind of like spilling all of the puzzle pieces out of the box so you can get a look at what you have before putting them in order.

I'm keeping what's important and losing nonessential aspects or details that could be implied. I like it. Yes I do.

_________________________

Hey, want some free reading? Check out the fiction freebie page on this very blog!

There you shall find links to two free ebooks on Smashwords and novel excerpts on Scribd.

Other places to find me:

http://www.LeaRyan.com/

Twitter: http://twitter.com/LeaRyan1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Cents?