Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Planning

I love to plan things…a lot. Sometimes I enjoy planning more than the actual doing.
There are many books on plotting out novels and stories, plot architecture, worksheets. I’ve read a couple. Authors seem pretty willing to share their techniques too – post-its, index cards with scenes.

But how thoroughly can a person really plan a novel?

I used some scene cards and character worksheets to plot out the remix project (current work in progress). They have been really helpful but the plan isn’t everything.

I don’t always know what I need until I’m already into the story. I realize that more as I work through it. I temporarily stray off in one direction and the story is richer for it. I guess the bottom line is, a book can be planned but only to a certain extent, at least in my experience.

There is value in both planning and spontaneity. Balance is the key.

_________________________
Hey, want some free reading? Check out the fiction freebie page on this very blog!
There you shall find links to two free ebooks on Smashwords and novel excerpts on Scribd.

Other places to find me:
http://www.LeaRyan.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/LeaRyan1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Cents?