Sunday, March 21, 2010

star wars roller derby

Scar Wars (star wars roller derby) was awesome! It was the most fun I’ve had in a while. There were people dressed like Star Wars characters, beer, loud music, and chicks on roller skates knocking eachother down! What more is needed in life?

The Star Wars costumes (probably a fancier name for them) were so realistic. The 501st Battalion and Rebel Legion was walking around the arena and posing for pictures and just generally being their completely cool selves. They were all really nice.

Here’s a link if you want to check them out - http://www.501st.com/

The roller derby girls were not dressed as Stars Wars characters. Although, one of them did have her face painted like Darth Maul.

Best roller derby names of the evening: Cereal Killer, Ima Hurchu, Joan of Dark, Queen Elizab#tch, and Jackie O’Smashus. And I decided that if I were to ever participate in a roller derby, my name would be Hitney Veers! Awesome, right?

I had never been to a roller derby bout before. It was really fast paced. I’m still not sure about the various actions required to score points, but I could tell when they were doing well. If the Jammer (girl with a star on her helmet) was out in front, that meant they were scoring points. It wasn’t quite like the movie Whip It, where the girls just beat the crap out of eachother. There was still some shoving and tumbling but it wasn’t quite as dramatic as the movie. Also, the track was flat rather than banked.

The Naptown Roller Girls won the bout. We took some pictures with the girls after the match.

I put our pictures on a slideshow on flickr because they were too big and there were too many to put directly on the blog. The link is below. I vow to apply hairspray to my bangs for future photo ops.


http://www.flickr.com/photos/48608483@N07/4452742366/in/set-72157623667137338/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Cents?