Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Graveyard Book

The Graveyard Book, Neil Gaiman & Dave Mckean

Somehow I found time to read a short novel. I guess if you really want to read something, you'll find the time to do it no matter how busy you think you are.

I don't usually read young adult fiction, so reading The Graveyard book felt a bit awkward at first. The language is simpler than in adult novels and it's a little repetitive. However, once I got used to the different style of writing, I loved the book.

The Graveyard Book is about a boy whose parents are killed and he ends up living in a graveyard. He's raised by spirits and a vampire.

The plot was a little patchy, like the author didn't really know where he was going at first. The action didn't really start to pick up until almost the end. After reading the acknowledgements at the end, I saw why it was patchy. The author said that he wrote chapter 4 first and that the book was written over the course of several years.

I know these sound like complaints. I guess they are, but the book is imaginative and filled with dark and beautiful imagery. It is most definitely worth the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Cents?