Friday, November 6, 2009

not the boss of me

soundtrack of the day - The Killers, Day and Age

I'm beginning to think there is something in my demeanor that gives people this undeniable urge to exert authority over me. Maybe I'm too easygoing or quiet. At least three times within the last 24 hours, people who really have no real authority over me have tried to order me around or manipulate me into doing something they wanted me to do. It's getting a little weird. I have very few issues with authority figures. My boss is my boss, etc. I get that. But why do some people try so hard to control what I do? I ain't causin' no trouble no how.

When I talk to someone and they act in what I think is an unreasonable manner, I like try to figure out what their motivation is. I have found that if they think that you've said something to devalue who they are or what they do, they have a tendency to lash out. In an effort to regain some of that value, they try to wrestle you into some action or their way of thinking.

I read once (I apologize if I misquote) that the easiest way to end a tug of war is to drop your end of the rope. These are wise words to live by. Some times you can have more fun if you let go and watch people fall on their butts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Cents?