Tuesday, March 8, 2011

TUESDAY!!!

Good Tuesday, dear ones.

I've been writing obsessively since the end of last week, so I hope you'll excuse the absence of the usual monday movie post. I did start to write one, but I couldn't get properly focused in a blogging sort of way, so I abandoned it.

Here's a mini-review.

The husband and I watched The Social Network this weekend. I didn't want to see this movie when I first heard about it, but then, after so many people loved it, I decided to give it a shot. It really is good, albeit a bit too long for what is.

Zuckerberg creates Facebook; people sue him for cutting them out of the deal and stealing their ideas; he's socially inept and says whatever pops into his head; we all get it by now. I'm giving it a B+ with points off for the length.

Next, I have been hard at work on the remix project. I mean, head down, writing my ass off. I have a sense of urgency with this one. I don't know if it's because I have so much more planned for this year or what.

So, blogging may be sporadic during the next few weeks. On the bright side, I'm about 6000 words into a project that I expect to hit somewhere between 80000 and 90000 words. Not bad for starting less than a week ago.

I also bought a book at Borders this weekend (yay Borders!) called On Writing Horror. I've been reading bits of it when my brain gets so tired it refuses to produce coherent sentences.

So far there is a lot of talk of the old ways, i.e. traditional publishing. I try not to skim through too much of it, but I did skip some parts about writing conferences and workshops. I don't dig that whole scene. Not that I don't want feedback. I love constructive criticism.

But many an author or industry figure has profited by overcharging people to teach them how to write. I firmly believe there's some ripping off going on. Conferences often cost $500 or more. Why not just take a college course at that price? You would get some personal feedback and spend more time studying.

As another update, Spring/Summer is up in AvinaLeo. Here's a link for your perusal.

_________________________
Hey, want some free reading? Check out the fiction freebie page on this very blog!
There you shall find links to two free ebooks on Smashwords and novel excerpts on Scribd.

Other places to find me:
http://www.LeaRyan.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/LeaRyan1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Cents?