Monday, October 4, 2010

Resident Evil

Exploding zombie heads - check
Shit blowing up - check
Annoying characters getting chomped - check

Resident Evil: Afterlife is AWESOME! I loved it, more than 2 and possibly more than 3, but not more than 1.

The beginning of this installment finds Alice invading the Umbrella Japan headquarters with a bunch of robot versions of herself. The robot clone thing is never really explained.

She hangs out with Alan Wesker for a while (fighting and such) and he injects her with a serum that removes her ability to kick ass in an efficient manner and her ability to heal quickly. That change in her character is another aspect of the beginning of the story that doesn't really come up again. Or maybe I need to watch 3 again. I did only see it once.

Anyway, after Alice finishes hanging out with Wesker, she flies a helicopter to Arcadia in Alaska. That was the town Claire Redfield and company were heading for at the end of 3. Someone in Arcadia has been transmitting a signal offering solace from the zombie-ridden rest of the world. I'm not going to run through the whole story. Let's just say, things don't work out as she expected.

So, there weren't many of your regular, run of the mill zombies this time around. Most of them were the crazy looking squid-faced specimens prevalent in the Res4 and Res5 games. Glorious.

There were several television stars in the movie including Ali Larter (Heroes), Wentworth Miller (Prison Break), Kim Coates (also of Prison Break), and Boris Kodjoe (Undercovers).

I didn't think the choice of Wentworth Miller for Chris Redfield was right. In the games, Chris is a huge muscle-bound cop/army guy. I like Wentworth Miller just fine, but he's the wrong type. He doesn't come off as a bad ass.

The effects in the movie were very cool, especially the few slow motion shots. I don't usually like slow motion because it has a tendency to over dramatize. In this case it worked very well.

The few slow motion sequences were also the only parts of the movie in which I think the 3D added to the experience.

I could go on, but I won't. Afterlife was great - A.

I'm feeling a little stuck, creatively, so I don't know if I'll be on much this week. Or maybe I just have Monday feelings. We'll see.

_________________________
Other places to find me:
http://www.LeaRyan.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/LeaRyan1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Cents?