Saturday, November 13, 2010

movie Skyline

The husband and I saw Skyline today. I know I usually don’t blog on Saturdays but I wanted to write this up while the movie is still fresh in my mind.

Warning – spoilers ahead.

Skyline is a movie that both succeeds and fails.

First, husband didn’t like it. I thought it was okay.

Skyline is about a massive, War of the Worlds scale alien invasion. The story follows one couple in particular but some other people as well. There were some familiar faces, mostly from very good TV shows – Eric Balfour (Six Feet Under), David Zayas (Dexter), Donald Faison (Scrubs), and Scottie Thompson (NCIS several episodes in 2007 and 2008).

Where it succeeds –

The acting was good.

Super awesome special effects. The aliens and their ships are really friggin’ big. Some of the larger aliens look to be a few stories tall and moved as agilely as primates. Others reminded me a lot of those squid looking things in the Matrix.
The action is almost nonstop.

Where it fails –

Lack of variation of setting. Ninety five percent of this movie takes place in or around the same apartment building. I kept waiting to see the characters try to make a run through Los Angeles and that never happened.

The ending was stupid. I didn’t love it because, well, it didn’t really resolve the problems. I think it’s presumptuous when a movie that may not have a sequel ends at what could be considered a to-be-continued point. And given that the theater wasn’t even half full, I don’t foresee a sequel for this one.

Skyline is probably worth a rental on DVD. As far as paying to see it in the movie theater? Maybe, if you are seeing it purely to see stuff blow up on a big screen. I give it a C.
_________________________
Other places to find me:
http://www.LeaRyan.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/LeaRyan1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Cents?