Wednesday, October 24, 2012

cruising crown hill

Today was day one of the five-day weekend. We went to Crown Hill, which is a huge cemetery in the middle of Indianapolis. Here are some pics for your viewing enjoyment. 







I thought this was a very sad memorial. The inscription was just heartbreaking. 





A vote for Blank sign in front of the Blank tomb. I don't know; he might be better than the options we have now. 



Crown Hill is home to the highest elevation in Indianapolis. We found this statue on the walk up the hill. It was tall like a giant.

So, who's king of this grand hill?

James Whitcomb Riley! Here's a bit about him I pulled from Wikipedia. 

"James Whitcomb Riley (October 7, 1849 – July 22, 1916) was an American writerpoet, and best selling author. During his lifetime he was known as the Hoosier Poet and Children's Poet for his dialect works and his children's poetry respectively. His poems tended to be humorous or sentimental, and of the approximately one thousand poems that Riley authored, the majority are in dialect. His famous works include "Little Orphant Annie" and "The Raggedy Man".

Also the Riley Children's hospital was dedicated to him.



This is part of the detail on the tomb. It's a statue (bronze?) of a little girl reading a book. There are some words but I don't remember what they said exactly. A ginger got right in the way of my picture. I don't know what her deal is. lol


This is the inscription on the tomb lid thingy. Sorry I'm not up on my burial vocabulary. People put change on  the lid. I grabbed this quote about the coins from another blog. I don't know if it's true, but it makes sense. 

"After his death children began donating coins to help pay for his memorial.  The tradition of leaving coins on his monument continues today and money collected is donated to Mr. Riley’s legacy, The Riley Hospital for children.”




 This is the view from the top of the hill. Riley's tomb was to my back when I took the picture. The Indianapolis skyline is at the center of the horizon.



This was one of my favorite things that we saw. I assume it's a statue of the lady buried here. I believe her name was Susan Downing...


and she does not approve.

I found out that John Dillinger is buried in Crown Hill but we didn't see his grave. maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Cents?