Monday, December 5, 2011

movie: Bridesmaids

Bridesmaids is a comedy that proves women can do humor just as raunchy as men can. That’s what makes it awesome.

Kristen Wiig is Annie, a failed baker who works as a rather ineffective jewelry saleswoman. She’s broke and dating a jerk. Her best friend, Lillian (Maya Rudolph), gets engaged and makes Annie her maid of honor. At the engagement party, Annie and another bridesmaid initiate this weird competition for Lillian’s attention that interferes with wedding plans.

Wiig and Rudolph (SNL alums) were quite awesome, but Melissa McCarthy (of Mike and Molly) as Megan all but stole their show. I don’t think her character could have been any stranger or farther from the one she plays on television. That girl can act.

Bridesmaids is very funny and a little chick-flicky but not annoyingly so. It gets an A-.

I’m going to go see if I can hunt down some pretzels. Tune in tomorrow for a blog only (temporarily) sneak peak at the Fate Binds Trilogy Trailer. That’s right. I finished it.

2 comments:

  1. OK, did I mention I saw this in the theatre? Shocked, maybe even a little horrified..but I cannot lie...it was funny. Melissa M. might not be invited back for the Gilmore Girls Reunion movie, which I am sure they will have at some point. There were many points where you could tell she had abandoned the script entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember you saying that you'd seen it. You might be right about abandoning the script. One of her very first scenes where she was talking about being at sea or something seemed like it might have been improvised.

    ReplyDelete

Two Cents?